Seesaw is a digital portfolio type tool that has a very common feel to many social media tools like Instagram. Once the teacher has created his/her class, the students can join and start posting. There are five main tools to post from:
- Take a photo (Option to add audio, drawings, and text.)
- Record a video (Option to add text.)
- Draw (Option to add audio and text.
- Import from the camera roll (Option to add audio, drawings, and text.)
Teachers can then give students the freedom to capture their learning and post it to their portfolio. But Seesaw takes it one step further. From the teacher account, you can access and print one page handouts that you can send home to parents so they can have access to their child's portfolio. As a parent myself, this is AWESOME! How great would it be to start a conversation with your child by asking them to tell you more about the project they posted to their profile that day.
I could go on and on about Seesaw, but I wanted to highlight some of the reasons why I love Seesaw.
- You can be ready to go in less than 15 minutes. Seesaw is super simple to set up and very easy to use. Very intuitive.
- The variety of ways students can share their learning is powerful. Give your students the option to write, speak, or show you what they are learning. AWESOME!
- Introduces young students to the world of social media and teaches them how to publish their work in a safe, controlled environment. If we don't teach students how to use these tools responsibly, where else will they learn it?
- Brings parents into the classroom like never before. The ease at which parents can sign up for Seesaw and the simplicity of getting info from student to teacher to parents, is truly remarkable. Parents even have the ability to leave feedback for their child.
- It is an easy way for teachers to share information with parents too. Teachers could post reminders about field trips or class activities for parents to review and prepare for. What about a class field trip? The teacher could gather pictures and videos to share with parents for an immediate conversation starter when their child gets home.
- Seesaw provides excellent customer service. Anytime I have had a question about Seesaw, their team will get back to me with an answer within the day.
If you have iPads in your classroom, you should definitely check out Seesaw. I believe it is really going to have a positive impact on our students and classrooms.