- Posting QR codes around the room encourages physical mobility during a lesson.
- QR codes prevent errors of manually typing in website URLs for people of all ages.
- If your lesson requires flexibility in the order and/or timing of access to resources, QR codes allow you that flexibility.
DISTRIBUTING QR CODES
If you have not completely abandoned QR codes, here are a couple of ideas for distributing QR codes.
- Project the QR code onto a whiteboard.
- Print off QR codes and post them around the classroom or school.
- Copy and paste the image of a QR code onto the paper handout. (Yes, paper handout. They still can serve a purpose too.)
CREATING QR CODES
There are a ton of tools to create QR codes. Here are three of my favorites.
Anything to QR Code
This Chrome Extension is great for quickly creating QR codes from websites you are currently viewing. When this extension is added to your Chrome account, a QR code icon will appear in the omni box. Simply click on the icon and a QR code will be generate immediately which can then be saved as an image file to your computer.
This website is great for making multiple QR codes at one time. Simply add one URL per row in the text entry field. You can then adjust some of the settings, such as adding the URL text info below the QR code. Finally, you can download all of the QR codes as a single .zip file containing all of the QR images.
One of the great features of this site is that it allows you to create QR codes specifically designed for various sources. For example, you can create a single QR code for an app, but design it so that you are redirected to the app store appropriate to your device. If you are using an iPhone, it will send you to the App Store. If you are using an Android device, it will send you to the Google Play store. You also get some added flexibility in visual choices, such as color of the QR code. You can even design a QR code with an image embedded into the code.
DON'T GIVE UP ON THE QR CODE
Maybe it is time for you to revisit the QR code. Or, maybe I am off my rocker and need to be enlightened. If you have feedback or suggestions, please comment below.